Instagrammies

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Celebrating Nicholas & Rachel's Wedding

Last weekend, I had the pleasure and honour of attending Nicholas and Rachel's holy matrimony and their customary wedding dinner.

I've known Rachel since we were in JC1, and together with Sangeetha, we were the only Arts Fac girls in the Student's Council. :) Those were definitely good, fun times and fast forward 9 years, Sangeetha and I (together with other councillors) were going to attend Rachel's wedding!

It was a really beautiful, heartwarming wedding which I believe left hardly any dry eyes in the church sanctuary. Rachel was absolutely radiant and glowing with happiness as she marched in and though the veil was covering her face, we could still see her wide, joyful smile.

My favourite parts of the wedding were definitely the exchanging of vows, lighting up of the Unity Candle, and thank-you speech. Being a romantic at heart, I love watching couples, especially when one or both of them are my close friends, make promises of neverending love to each other. In my ideal world, couples get married and never lie to each other, never hurt each other, never cheat on each other, never leave each other. Even while watching TV programmes on weddings (My Fair Wedding with David Tutera on Mio TV is my absolute fav!), I tear when I watch the couples exchange their vows!

Lighting of the Unity Candle
  
Signing the marriage cert
The beautiful and blissful couple
The lighting of the Unity Candle is something which I rarely see, but it is also another very meaningful act. Each party lights up his/her individual candle at the side, takes his/her candle in his/her hand, and then together light up a larger candle in the centre. This symbolises the joining of lives as one. Then each party blows out his/her individual candle to symbolise that they are no longer individuals, but one flesh.

And of course, the thank-you speech comes at the end and while Nicholas was thanking his and Rachel's parents and grandparents, it was heartwarming to see both sets of parents beaming proudly and lovingly at both of them. The grandmothers, too, smiled so happily when bouquets were presented to them - truly a sweet family moment!

Rachel throwing her bouquet while the other girls try to siam. Hahaha..
 
Me and Sangeetha!! *beams*
Cupcake tower which I never had the chance to attack! *sad face*

Picture with all the VJC peeps

Just cos I <3 the prints on my dress so much!!

Yay to my dress!! :D
The traditional Chinese wedding dinner was held at Mandarin Oriental Hotel. I caught a glimpse of the beautiful bride Rachel before the dinner started and she wasn't kidding when she told me that the food was going to be good! It was abso-fantastic!

Appetiser course which included lobster salad, roast pork, drunken chicken and some sausage roll thingy

Braised pork knuckle in apple sauce - very yummy!

Star of the night: Chilli crab sauce with mantou! *drools*
My pretty friends! :D




Shark's fin soup

Baked pork ribs encrusted with oats and cranberry - awesome dish too!
Rose cheesecake

I guess one thing I always look forward to when attending friends' weddings is the meeting up with old frends and finding out how they are doing! :) It's always nice to see your schoolmates doing well and having cool jobs that they like.

Looking forward to attending two more weddings before I become a Mrs myself! O.O Time is passing too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment