Instagrammies

Monday, April 16, 2012

What Planning For Our Wedding Has Taught Me

Ever since KU and I started planning for our wedding, we've gone through so many highs and lows in our relationship (as most engaged couples would). It has been both enjoyable and stressful so far, though these few weeks it's more stressful than enjoyable. :x

The whole experience to date has taught me a lot of stuff. It has shown me what both our thresholds for sudden, unpleasant changes are, and more importantly, it has shown me who are the people who really care.

In this busy time when both of us need much help in so many aspects of the wedding, we do really need loads of help in whatever areas that don't require us to attend to personally. So far, we've asked some friends for help - some have agreed, some have declined. And I'm honestly extremely moved and humbled by those who have agreed to help, for they have gone above and beyond their 'help scope' and I know that God has blessed KU and me greatly by giving us awesome friends.

And this is a sidetrack, but of all the friends who are helping, I can't help but rave about dear Lava whose talents I have milked for the purpose of our wedding. Hehe.. :D It was while we were in university that I realised that the woman is an awesome artist/designer. Her doodles were always artistic damask-ish designs, her handmade cards had amazing handdrawn motifs and she even designed the maskhead for the blogs of some our uni classmates. So, for the wedding, I knew that I had to ask her to design our church wedding invitations!


And I must say that she's done an abso-fantastic job, cos I've distributed and mailed out most of the invites and everyone says that the card is really nice!! :) I personally looovvveee the design to bits and I'm so proud of Lava, I need to show her and her skills off to everyone! Hehe.. :)

Anyways, back to the topic.

The biggest lesson learnt so far is not to take things too hard. For me, it's easy to say but so hard to do cos I'm a very reactive person by nature. When (bad) things happen, I jump/rage/cry before finally calming down (after a long while) to think things through. Multiply this activity by an average of 2x a week and you can imagine how exhausted and utterly depressed I feel after each saga. So what I'll do nowadays is to take a deep breath and tell myself, "Not worth getting upset over" over and over again until I feel myself calming down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm putting in effort to be more calm about things and not to sweat over stuff. After all, I'm the one who suffers when I blow up, not the person who hurts me, so I should be kind to myself and learn to let go.

Nevertheless, I'm grateful to God for His kindness and many blessings. At this point in time, I really couldn't ask for anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment