Instagrammies

Friday, April 13, 2012

Saying Goodbye

We had an early morning gift-giving 'ceremony' today at work. It wasn't really a 'ceremony' cos it was much more casual than that, but pictures of the gift recipients were still taken. My company president presented some gifts to the inspection committee of the organisation who had bought a vessel from us.

This project was a long one - lasting approximately 4 years. The final product was officially delivered and accepted by the customer in a hugely well-received formal ceremony last week. Every vessel that our company builds, there are 3 milestones which we have to mark by holding large ceremonies - keel laying, launching, and delivery.

I joined my current company in late 2010, and was fortunate to be able to take part in the launching ceremony last year. Before that, my first encounter with the customer was during our company's annual Lo Hei luncheon. My boss, colleague, and I were seated with many of the inspection committee members during the luncheon. They were very friendly and tried to make conversation with us, even though English wasn't their native language. After that lunch, each time we bumped into the committee, they would smile at us, wave and say hello.

Fast forward 2 years later, it was our last time planning an event for them. The delivery ceremony last week was the final one and they would return to their country soon.

This keychain was given to me by the second man of the committee this morning. I have no idea why, but I felt very moved by his gesture. He clasped his hands together and bowed slightly and said, "This is for you." I was greatly surprised and stared at him for a while before clasping my hands together in return and bowed back at him and replied, "Thank you. Korpkun krap."

At that very moment, I felt a twinge of sadness. Sad that this group of mild-tempered (to us) gentlemen were leaving our country so soon, and that we would never meet them again. Some of our colleagues lost their tempers at them last week during the rehearsal for the delivery ceremony due to miscommunication caused by differing languages, but they remained patient and calm towards all of us. And this is how I will remember them, especially the kind, gentle man who gave me the elephant keychain.

Sometimes I think I'm too sentimental for my own good. I get emotionally attached to people and things very quickly, and when they are gone, I get slightly depressed. :( But nonetheless, I wish them all the very best and pray that somehow they will come back to our company again.

...............................................................................

On a happier note, I've made some progress with my next collection for Jocianne. Got my hands on some vinyl/PVC a few weeks ago and am experimenting with it to come up with an entire collection based on the fabric.

I usually don't keep any of my creations for myself, cos I rather sell them all off and feel proud seeing customers wear them. But this time, I couldn't help but make a pleather bib necklace for myself. :) This is also in line with this year's resolution to wear my own creations 90% of the time. The other 10% is for wearing my Lee Hwa jewellery. Hehe..



Complete with handmade horseshoe 'charm' with yellow jade and chunky marble print acrylic chain bought from HK! Am very satisfied and happy with the final product. *beams*



Wore it today with my snake-print blouse. I initially thought that the necklace would clash with the prints, but surprisingly, the end effect was quite nice (to me at least. Haha!). :) I'm gonna match this necklace with more outfits so that people around me will be able to see how versatile Jocianne pieces are!

No comments:

Post a Comment